Residential Propane Safety

safety_blackAppliance Safety

 

  • All appliances should be installed and repaired only by qualified technicians. Improper ventilation can starve the combustion process in the appliance and create a situation that could produce toxic carbon monoxide gas. Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that, in sufficient amounts, may be deadly to humans. Usually, headaches and/or flu-like systems are initial signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you suspect that any of your appliances have been improperly vented, you should discontinue using them and contact your propane supplier or local fire department immediately for an inspection.
  • An appliance gas control is a precision mechanism that may malfunction if it is exposed to water from flooding, storms, or any other damaging environments. A flooded gas control must be replaced by a qualified gas appliance technician. Damaged gas control valves must be replaced.

safety_blackGas Grilling Safety

 

  • Do not use a propane gas cylinder if it shows signs of external damage, such as dents, gouges, bulges, fire damage, corrosion, leakage or excessive rust.
  • Before grilling, make sure the propane cylinder is secured to the grill as directed by the manufacturer.
  • After grilling, the cylinder must not be stored indoors or within any enclosed space.
  • Always open the grill hood before lighting, and light according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Never use gasoline or kerosene to start the fire.
  • Always grill in a well-ventilated area. Do not grill indoors or close to the side of a building.
  • Use foil or a drip pan to catch juices and help avoid grease fires.
  • To see how much propane is left in your cylinder, run a wet finger down the side. The wet streak will evaporate faster over the empty part of the cylinder.
  • To turn the cylinder valve on or off, remember “Righty, tighty/Lefty, loosey.”