Propane Safety

  • Always keep flammable and combustible materials (e.g., paper, clothing, wood, gasoline, solvents) away from any open flames that originate from your appliances.
  • Know how to shut off the gas supply from the tank or cylinder. If you do not know how, contact your propane supplier for instructions before use.
  • Never place your  head near or directly over the valves on your storage tank. A sudden release from the safety relief valve could result in serious injury.
  • The propane liquid that is stored in your tank or cylinder can cause severe frostbite if it comes in contact with your skin or eyes.
  • Never store propane cylinders or containers inside any enclosed building.
  • Treat all propane gas odors seriously—they could indicate a dangerous situation.
  • Never assume that propane odor is merely due to a near-empty tank. If the odor persists, it could signify a serious leak.
  • Always contact your local propane supplier in the event of a suspected leak.

What to do if you smell gas

If a gas alarm signals the presence of propane or if you think you smell propane-regardless of where you are in proximity to propane equipment—immediately follow these steps:

  • Extinguish all smoking materials, all open flames and all sources of ignition.
  • Vacate all parties from the area.
  • Vacate the area without using any electric switches, appliances, thermostats or telephones.
  • Close the gas shutoff valve on the propane tank or cylinder.
  • Call your propane supplier and/or your local fire department from a cell phone or a neighbor’s telephone.
  • Even if you cease smelling gas, do not open or turn on the propane supply valve. Do not re-enter the building, vehicle or area. Let a qualified propane service technician and/or emergency personnel monitor the area for escaped propane.
  • Have a qualified propane service technician repair the leak. The propane service technician should check all of your gas appliances and re-light any appliance pilots.
  • Return to the building, camper, RV or area only when the service or emergency technician indicates it is safe to do so.